Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Limon gibi limon (Lemon-like lemons)

I really took way too many pictures, so if you're on the front page of this blog, you need to click "read more" to see this entire post. (you probably won't see this many pictures again because the wifi here is really slow...)
Quite a lot of us needed to get photos taken in order to obtain reduced price transit cards. At the photographer's, this beautiful picture frame was available. Hopefully it comes with the picture of the baby.




Okay. Today was my first day of class, and that went well. I'm in the highest class, but it feels like everyone is, because there are currently eight of us, and we are at very different levels. I think we should probably have five classes instead of four, but we'll see how it goes. Hocam çok iyi! Our teacher has been teaching since before I was born, and because of this, he is quite experienced. Luckily for us, he will is flexible and will not stick to the rigid structure of Yeni Hitit. :) He is also hilarious. As soon as I said I studied linguistics, he immediately pointed at me and jokingly said I would have way too many questions and be a problem in class.

We also got our IDs. Mine is almost identical to last year's.

After class, two classmates and I wandered around the older part of Bursa surrounding Ulu Cami, which we had more briefly walked through yesterday. I took way too many pictures. Here are a lot of them:
My compatriots: Johanna and John.


A very creative lemon seller has written creative ads. In english,
Limon gibi limon - ("Lemon like lemons!")
Eski yatak limon ("Lemons were old beds")
[I don't think yatak means bed here, but I'm not sure what else it means]
Bol sutlu yatak - ("Lemons are beds with plenty of juice")
Gerçek limon bu ("The lemons are real!")



Chestnuts.




I will probably buy this.

Honey




A somewhat religious bookstore


Arkadaşlar from the front.

It is important to have one of these statues guarding your store.

"If you have God, you have no problems"


"My aunt loooooooooves me"

After this we went into Ulu Cami.



A fountain is not a typical thing to find in the middle of a mosque. It was being cleaned.



This is a mad cool scarf


Incidentally, I also live on the outskirts of town. Here is my metro station.



No comments: